I do love a book challenge and I’ll happily take any excuse to look through my bookcase and admire it so I thought I would do the ‘Do I have that book’ challenge. It’s 20 questions that allow you to go through your bookcase and explore the books you own.
1. Do you have a book with deckled edges?
I love books with deckled edges but I only own one. Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter is my favourite book I own. It’s so beautiful and really interesting to read and it has deckled edges. So perfect!
2. Do you have a book with three or more people on the cover?
For this one it was a safe bet to go with series of unfortunate events. I specifically chose my copy of The Wide Window but most of the books have the 3 main characters on the front.
3. Do you have a book based on another fictional story?
I think this is one of the only questions I don’t have a book for. I have most definitely read some books but I don’t have any on my bookshelf and the completionist in me is very pained to admit this!
4. Do you have a book with a title 10 letters long?
I’m going to go with Goldfinger for this one. It’s a TBR book (as is 20% of my bookshelf) and I would love to read all the James Bond books at some point.
5. Do you have a book with a title that starts and ends with the same letter?
I went with The Vampire’s Assistant. This is another one of my favorite books. I think picking a book that begins with The may be cheating but we’re going to run with it!
6. Do you have a mass market paperback book?
So I had no idea what this meant and I still don’t know if I got this right but I went with the novelization of Kingsman: the golden circle. When I googled Mass Market Paperback I got
Mass market paperback books, or MMPBs, are printed for large audiences cheaply. This means that they are smaller, usually 4 inches wide by 7 inches tall, and the text is in a smaller font. These smaller sized books are often called pocketbooks, and they do fit easily into a purse or a back pocket.
And that sounds about right for this book.
7. Do you have a book written by an author using a pen name?
Going into this I didn’t want to repeat books but I guess this is about the Author then the book. So I’ll say Lemony Snicket. His real name is Daniel Handler.
8. Do you have a book with a character’s name in the title?
I guess I could say any of Roald Dahl books but for sake of keeping things consistent we’ll go with Matilda. That’s a book I’ve head for the first time a couple of days ago and I loved it so much.
9. Do you have a book with two maps in it?
No I don’t. Honestly I didn’t think that was a big thing till I read posts and watched videos about this challenge, apparently I’m reading the wrong books!
10. Do you have a book that was turned into a TV show?
I’m going to have to go with series of unfortunate events again. This was turned into a very good Netflix show, the first ever movie or show that I think really did do the book justice.
11. Do you have a book written by someone who was originally famous for something else? i.e. celebrity, athlete, politician, TV personality, etc.
I’m going to say Me. You: not a diary by Dawn French. She’s so funny and this book tells stories and thoughts. I’m excited to read it.
12. Do you have a book with a clock on the cover?
Nope. Again, I feel like I’m reading the wrong books!
13. Do you have a poetry book?
I only have one and it’s 100 best poems for children. I got this book from my Nana at Christmas some years ago and sits signed by her. I love that book more for the sentimental stuff then the book itself but I want to read more poetry books at some point.
14. Do you have a book with an award stamp on it?
I don’t but I have many books that claim they have won many awards.
15. Do you have a book written by an author with the same initials as you?
I have no idea. There’s none on my bookshelf and I really don’t think there’s any at all with RS.
16. Do you have a book of short stories?
I have a couple of these, I love short stories a lot and my favorite collection Is Roald Dahl’s book of ghost stories. They’re so good and all well written, some of them stories still stick with me now.
17. Do you have a book that is between 500 and 510 pages long?
God I really struggled with this one, I really don’t have many books over 400 pages. I prefer shorter books. But I’m going to go with What Happened by Hillary Clinton… I refuse to make this about politics so let’s move on.
18. Do you have a book that was turned into a movie?
I mean are we talking about good movies or… movies? Because I’m going for cirque du freak. The book was amazing… the movie was not. I mean even when Darran Shan, the Author, admits it’s shit you know it’s crap.
19. Do you have a graphic novel?
I have a couple of these. I went through a period of time wanting to read a shit ton of comics and graphic novels. I have a first couple of Saga comics so I’m going to go with them. They’re very good and I would 100% recommend but please be aware it has many trigger warnings.
20. Do you have a book written by two or more authors?
I went with Welcome to Night Vale Novel by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor. It’s such an amazing book and I loved it. It was a lovely companion Novel to the podcast and really well written. They’ve since gone on the write another novel.
Check out my last blog post here where I talk about the interesting format of Flipback books.